- (1 pound) Ground Bison
- (1) onion (slice thinly)
- (2 tbls) olive oil
- (2 cloves) minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- (4 oz. (crumbled)) Blue cheese
- Lettuce leaves, tomato slices, and condiments of your choice (ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, etc.)
- (4) hamburger buns or bread of choice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the thinly sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become soft and caramelized, about 20-25 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to help with the caramelization process. Remove the caramelized onions from the skillet and set them aside.
- While the onions are caramelizing, in a mixing bowl, combine the ground bison, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Mix the ingredients gently but thoroughly, being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Shape the bison mixture into four equal-sized burger patties.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bison burger patties and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or longer if you prefer your burgers more well-done.
- During the last minute of cooking, top each burger patty with crumbled blue cheese and cover the skillet to allow the cheese to melt.
- While the cheese is melting, lightly toast the hamburger buns in a toaster or on a grill.
- Assemble the burgers by placing a bison patty with melted blue cheese on the bottom half of each bun. Top with caramelized onions and your choice of lettuce, tomato, and condiments. Finish with the top bun half.
- Serve your delicious Bison Burger immediately with your favorite side dishes, like sweet potato fries or a green salad.
Enjoy your homemade Bison Burger with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese!